Was fine until i thought about Syphilis

Dear Expert: 6 months ago i received unprotected felatio from an Asian female massage girl in NYC. Approximately 2 weeks post incident I was treated with a 10 day cycle of doxycycline for possible NGU however it is probable that the symptoms were purely out of anxiety as there was only a need to urinate frequently with some pain. No other symptoms.

I recently tested negative at 5 months for HIV post this incident and was very happy to be moving on after this ordeal. My reason for still being concerned is Syphilis... I am a married man and am very fearful i may have infected my wife from this single stupid exposure, we had unprotected sex two or three times before i was on the antibiotics. She knows about the incident. She saw her gynecologist about 3 weeks after we had sex and she was negative on all test and the doctor did not see anything alarming upon examination. But the doctor did not order any blood tests at that time. To date she has not had any chancre (that we know of) or rash of any kind going on about 6 months.

I am a heterosexual white male and this was the only incidence of infidelity. Should we be concerned?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- Syphilis can be transmitted during oral sex so your exposure with the massage girl did put you at risk. While I don't think it is likely, I would recommend both you and your wife get tested. This will put your fears to rest. Take care,

LHW

Undestanding the Situation
Anxiety from possible risk and symptoms