The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2nd trry!! Please advise.. Pregnant with delayed antibodies?

Jan 18, 2012


This is my second attempt for an response back.

I will keep it short and direct:

1. My EX boyfriend tested HIV positive in early Jan. 2008 2. I then went on spree of testing! I tested 2, 4,6,9 all the way up to 2 and half years past my last exsposure to him! all of my tests were ELISA and were NEGATIVE. I even had a virl load done at the 8 month mark and it was less than 48 copies...

My current concern is is I am happy and now pregnant, But I need to know what the odds of me have delayed HIV antibodies? I have read stories of people taking YEARS to develop antibodies and then test positive.

I would like the raw facts and straight honesty, so that I can prepare myself and my little baby for our future... Is it possiblefor me to now test positive after so many negative tests? delayed response...?

Thank you very very much

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

No. You would have developed antibodies by now. These stories you are readin are just that. Stories. Within three months time you would have produced enough antibodies to get an accurate result. When someone has a known exposure to HIV, we would say that a six month test could be performed. Just to be extra careful. You are well outside even that window.

Bottom line: You are negative. Best of luck to you and your baby!

In health,


Fresh blood on non intact skin
Engaged... but what if? PLEASE HELP DOCTORS

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint