Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing negitive but have primary HIV symptoms
Jan 17, 2012

Hello Dr. Wohl,

I had sex with a female CSW in SE Asia that was protected (penis/vagina insertive) to start with but the condom blew a tire and in the heat of the moment we kept at it for at lease another 5 minutes until I came to my senses and stop all sex.

From the 2nd week to the 10th week I had various types of primary HIV symptoms including a folliculitis rash on my back that does not want to go away. But never had fever or lymph nodes swell.

When I made it back to the USA I went to and a HIV outreach task force clinc that did not want to give me any HIV ab test, but gave me a HIV RNA PCR VL test since I had symptoms but was still in the so called window period. My viral load test came back HIV RNA non-detectable <20 copies mL. The clinc then told me to come back at post 90 days from exposure to do a HIV ab test, which I did a an OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 oral fluid test at 92 days that was negitive. Then the clinc told me to come back at 115 days post exposure, which I did and retested negitive with the same type of oral fluid test.

Now the clinc has told me to come back at the 180 post exposeure to re-test. When I asked why they stated since I had an unprotected exposure that I need to test out to 180 days post.

In you point of view and experience as an HIV medical professional do you think my negitive results are conclusive are to I need to actually test out to 180 days? Currently I am at the 120 day mark and really stressed that I have to take a 4th test do to this exposure in SE Asia. Would it make sence just for me to got to my family doctor and tell her to test me with a Fouth Generation HIV test just to get this waiting priod and gussing game out of my way and not wait another two months to retest?

I would like to thank "The Body" and yourself for the great free services that is provided to all of us that visits this well ran web site for the people with HIV concerns and for the people who have HIV.

Response from Dr. Wohl

You are right. You have been tested enough. You are HIV negative. DW

Previous
Symptoms and tests
Next
help me please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.