The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Anxiety and Symptoms

Jan 15, 2012

Hello, I am a 26 year old African American female. For the past six to 8 months I have lived in total fear that I have the HIV virus. My last risky encounter was on the 25th of November.... I had unprotected sex with a man of unknown status. Since then I have been having a generally ill feeling that comes and goes.... no fever and no swollen glands but I do have aches and pelvic pain although it is not my period. In the last two weeks I have had severe chest pains which my doctor diagnosed as Pleurisy. Is there an HIV test I can take that will be accurate sooner than 90 days??? Is Pleurisy and pelvic cramps a sign of HIV?? Or is it just stress??

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi, I hear from your question that you know that you put yourself at risk for HIV, but you also put yourself at risk for other STI (Sexually Transmitted Infections). You should have a full STI screening to ensure that there is nothing else going on. Pleurisy is not a side effect of HIV. Pelvic pain can be a side effect of a STI such as Pelvic Inflammatory Disease or other STI. Stress and anxiety can also have side effects. So your best bet is to follow up with your Health Care Provider. The standard for testing for rapid HIV tests, whether oral swab or blood are very accurate at 28 days, and conclusive at 90.

Be well and stay safe. Shannon

HIV Testing
isoprinosine and elisa test

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint