HIV Testing

Hi, How accurate is a negative HIV test at 4 weeks post exposure? Also with a low risk exposure.. kissing protected oral, unprotected insertive oral and being rimmed? 3 days ago I developed a rash on my fingers and dotted on palm.. it almost looks like black dried glue its not raised..It came of when scraped with a sharp edge like a scissors no blood underneath, just normal skin. It is gone now. Should I be concerned? How assured can I be of a negative result at 4 weeks, I dont know the type but I had blood taken. I tested negative for syphilis, hepatitis b and HIV at week 4. I am freaking out here as I have had a sore throat the past 3 weeks although it is gone now.

Hi, You are correct that all the exposures you talked about are carry the lowest risk. For testing the standard now is for rapid HIV tests, whether oral swab or blood are very accurate at 28 days, and conclusive at 90 days. 4 weeks out you are at still in the middle of what is called the window period. The test is picking your bodies immune system developing antibodies against HIV. Everyone is different in the timing of these developing. I would remain on course for getting another HIV test at the 90 day mark. But must add in that the likelihood of transmission, possible but not probable.

Be well and safe. Shannon

interpretation of elisa test result
HIV Anxiety and Symptoms