HIV Transmission via Toilet Seat/Toilet Paper

I recently went for an STD test at a free STD clinic in Downtown NYC.

Pardon my somewhat graphic description, but I used the bathroom (which was not very clean at all) to do my business (#2). I used the toilet paper available to clean myself after. Because I was so nervous being in the clinic in the first place, I was not too careful in checking to see if the paper/toilet was clean or not.

I am absolutely terrified that I have somehow contracted the virus through this experience. My question is- how likely is it for such a transmission to occur? I have read multiple different answers on how long the virus can stay infectious outside the host but I'm not sure what is the most accurate time frame.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Sincerely, Terrified

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

The answer to your question is none. Zero. There is no risk of transmission from a situation like this. HIV does not live well outside of the body. Within a minutes time, the virus will start to die, leaving it unable to infect someone.

In health,

Richard

Transmission from inanimate objects
Protected vaginal, oral sex amd HIV disclosure