Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Transmission via Toilet Seat/Toilet Paper
Jan 15, 2012

Hello,

I recently went for an STD test at a free STD clinic in Downtown NYC.

Pardon my somewhat graphic description, but I used the bathroom (which was not very clean at all) to do my business (#2). I used the toilet paper available to clean myself after. Because I was so nervous being in the clinic in the first place, I was not too careful in checking to see if the paper/toilet was clean or not.

I am absolutely terrified that I have somehow contracted the virus through this experience. My question is- how likely is it for such a transmission to occur? I have read multiple different answers on how long the virus can stay infectious outside the host but I'm not sure what is the most accurate time frame.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Sincerely, Terrified

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

The answer to your question is none. Zero. There is no risk of transmission from a situation like this. HIV does not live well outside of the body. Within a minutes time, the virus will start to die, leaving it unable to infect someone.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Transmission from inanimate objects
Next
Protected vaginal, oral sex amd HIV disclosure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.