Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is my question too serious to get a response?
Jan 11, 2012

I totally understand you must get hundreds of "worried well" questions. I just don't understand why these crazy questions get your attention, but a "real life" type, "honest" question doesn't. There isn't any, "I touched a doorknob" or "I went to the bathroom in a public restroom" type question here, but I do have a question I can't find an answer to. I hear all the time, that if you touch someone's blood you should be careful. For instance if someone is hurt you should wear gloves, or try to have as little contact with their blood as possible. I have always assumed that is for your safety, you don't want to get their blood in any open wounds you may have. But what if you have been cut, and bleeding badly and someone comes to help you and touches your cut and blood without gloves on and you don't know the integrity of their hands. What is the risk?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for the question.

I'm not sure if we're talking about risk for HIV or other blood-borne diseases. Let's take HIV first, when we're talking about transmission of HIV through blood we need two things: HIV positive blood coming out of someone's body and a way for it to another person's body.

If you have an open (bleeding) cut and someone if touching it, they would need to ALSO be bleeding to give you HIV through that cut. They would also need a good amount of blood coming out of their body. If may be hard to know the integrity of their hands, but remember skin is strong on healthy hands usually.

In this situation, if the person helping you actually does have a small cut on their hands. It's actually more likely for you to get blood into THEIR cut since we know that you have a lot of blood present.

As for other diseases like Hepatitis B and C, they are much easier to transmit than HIV when all the details of the situation are the same. These should also be something in this situation should test for. That being said, remember that we need blood to go out of one person's body and into another for there to be risk for any of these diseases in the first place.

Thanks for your question. We get a variety of honest questions here at the forum that we do our best to answer.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
First gay sex was unprotected..Am I HIV positive?
Next
No seroconversion after taking pep

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.