Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pregnant and scared
Jan 9, 2012

Hi Dr.Hightow-Weidman,

I have a fear of contracting HIV from means that are out of my control. I am not in any high risk categories, and have been with the same guy(my husband for 18 years. I am pregnant with baby number 4 and my fears seem to highten when pregnant. I recently went for Pre-natal testing and they needed to draw blood. I asked the technician to make sure all the needles are never re-used and she said everthing here is one time use only and they have to follow strict protocol. So I seen her twist the needle opened and then inserted it into that plastic shield(not sure exactly what it is called) so the other end was the needle that actually goes into my arm. It still has a cap on. After that I did not see what she did. I know she turned around to do somthing and then I seen her insert the needle in my arm. It did not hurt me and I was fine with what she did. When I got home that evening I began to notice bruising in my vien where she picked me. This is where my fear starts. I am worried that maybe when I did not see what she was doing, she upcapped the needle, turned around to do something and maybe accidently picked herself before picking me. I m terrified that I my have contracting HIV or Hep from this. My husband tells me there is not wy she is professional and I have to learn to trus them. But I am worried cause it is not only me that would be infected but also my baby inside me. Should I tell my Dr. about this then next time I see her and ask for an HIV test in 12 weeks or m I over-reacting and there is not way that this would have happened... Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I m really scared and would just like to enjoy my pregnancy rather then worry.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

As someone with 3 kids myself, I understand completely how our fears take over when we are pregnant. Are we eating the right things, getting enough sleep, is the baby healthy, etc. etc. I think these fears are normal. I want to reassure you that the nurse drawing your blood did not infect you with HIV. You have nothing to worry about and your husband is right on this one. Bruising after getting your blood drawn is very common. I hope this calms your anxiety and you have a very uneventful pregnancy!

Take Care,

LHW

Previous
can we get HIV from a new masturbation toy
Next
Blood on hand/toilet paper

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.