Pregnant and scared

Hi Dr.Hightow-Weidman,

I have a fear of contracting HIV from means that are out of my control. I am not in any high risk categories, and have been with the same guy(my husband for 18 years. I am pregnant with baby number 4 and my fears seem to highten when pregnant. I recently went for Pre-natal testing and they needed to draw blood. I asked the technician to make sure all the needles are never re-used and she said everthing here is one time use only and they have to follow strict protocol. So I seen her twist the needle opened and then inserted it into that plastic shield(not sure exactly what it is called) so the other end was the needle that actually goes into my arm. It still has a cap on. After that I did not see what she did. I know she turned around to do somthing and then I seen her insert the needle in my arm. It did not hurt me and I was fine with what she did. When I got home that evening I began to notice bruising in my vien where she picked me. This is where my fear starts. I am worried that maybe when I did not see what she was doing, she upcapped the needle, turned around to do something and maybe accidently picked herself before picking me. I m terrified that I my have contracting HIV or Hep from this. My husband tells me there is not wy she is professional and I have to learn to trus them. But I am worried cause it is not only me that would be infected but also my baby inside me. Should I tell my Dr. about this then next time I see her and ask for an HIV test in 12 weeks or m I over-reacting and there is not way that this would have happened... Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I m really scared and would just like to enjoy my pregnancy rather then worry.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

As someone with 3 kids myself, I understand completely how our fears take over when we are pregnant. Are we eating the right things, getting enough sleep, is the baby healthy, etc. etc. I think these fears are normal. I want to reassure you that the nurse drawing your blood did not infect you with HIV. You have nothing to worry about and your husband is right on this one. Bruising after getting your blood drawn is very common. I hope this calms your anxiety and you have a very uneventful pregnancy!

Take Care,

LHW

can we get HIV from a new masturbation toy
Blood on hand/toilet paper