The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

androgel and letrozole

Jan 9, 2012

hello doctor! greetings from brazil, I have secondary hypogonadism (HIV patient) and the endocrinologist put me on androgel, I commented that the long-term use of exogenous testosterone blocks the production itself, and thus ultimately the testosterone level can be lower. I recommended androgel used in conjunction with an aromatase inhibitor (letrozole) to continue producing testosterone and protect endogenous hormone axis with the following schedule: letrozole 2 capsules per week and androgel on alternate days. you think?

Response from Dr. Wohl

Olá! Androgel is a topical testosterone that absorbed through the skin. It is used to increase testosterone levels in those who have low levels of the hormone. It is true that when you use Androgel, your own body's production of the stuff may decrease. However, the dose of testosterone in Androgel should more than make up for the loss of the little bit the body was making. A testosterone level can be checked after a few months of Androgel to make sure the levels are in range. Taking Letrozole, a drug that prevents the creation of estrogen, I do not think will add much of an effect to the loading up of testosterone you can accomplish with Androgel. Thanks.

My son got A.I.D.S. from me (his mom) @ birth....
Scared after tattooing HIV positive client

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint