My son got A.I.D.S. from me (his mom) @ birth....

My son is now 20 years and undetectable and is on Atriptla. He has always been athletic- but now he REALLY wants to do MMA fighting but he says he can't because of his H.I.V. status. Is there anything he can do about this? I feel sorry that they feel that way but maybe he can be talked back in to standard Martial Arts....Is there any way he can participate in MMA?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

I think unfortunately that your son is probably right here. Prior to any competitions the rules of MMA state that all contestants must complete a pre-licensure medical examination and "tests" required by the jurisdiction licensing the contest. It is my understanding that for most professional fights testing for HIV and Hepatitis is required. Although it's not optimal, I see no reason he couldn't still do the training without engaging in the fights.

Colitis and HIV positive partner
androgel and letrozole