Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV risk after brief anal left some facts out last time
Jan 7, 2012

Thank you so much for answering my question the first time. I really appreciate it and its made me stop worrying a bit more. However, I left some facts out because I typed with my phone and it didn't let me scroll up. Here's what I left out. The attempted anal episode was after the affair, Dec 1st of this year.I have not been tested after that. Vertigo began 9 days after. Still having it but no other symptoms. I will copy and paste my first question along with your first response. Do you think my vertigo and dizziness could be caused by acute HIV since it was just 9 days after? The neurologist said the vestibular abnormalities point to the brain. What are my chances of having caught HIV from this experience? Not probable as in like 1%? thank you so much for all your help. I have a babyboy and I feel like I won't be around much longer.

Hi and thank you for reading my question. I am a married female. I took an HIV test a year after having an affair with this guy and it was negative. I tried protected anal sex with him after the HIV test and it would not go in. He pulled off the condom, spit on his hand and rubbed it on his penis then inserted it once halfway into my rectum. He didn't move for about 3 seconds then I begged him to remove it, which he did. A week and 2 days after that I woke up with severe vertigo and dizziness lasting all day until now 3 weeks later. I still have it but no other symptoms. I have such severe anxiety could this be causing my inability to eat. I haven't been hungry at all and everything I put in my mouth makes me nauseous. I'm assuming maybe it's the dizziness? I dont know about the guys status but i know he sleeps around thiugh im not sure if unprotected. I had blood tests done at the hospital 5 days after vertigo started which they said were very good beyond average. They didn't include an HIV test. I had some tests done that should nystagmus while I was having vertigo. Please please respond I'm desperate. I'm married and will never do this again. I regret it so much!! My questions are 1- what are my chances of aquiring HIV based on what I did 2- can acute HIV cause vertigo as the only symptom?

Response from Richard

Hi there:

You can get an accurate HIV result at the 90 day mark. The test you took was well outside that window. You are negative from this encounter. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Based on the situation you described, it's possible, but not probable.

2. No

In health,

Richard

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Unprotected receptive anal sex remains one of the highest risks for HIV transmission. Fortunately, the episode was brief, and the risk lowered. You could go in for an initial HIV test at 28 days, and a final one at 90 days. Given the situation you described, I am sure the result will be negative. Good luck

In health,

Richard

Previous
Dr. help for a situation of risk
Next
Gum Bleeding and Hands

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.