The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. help for a situation of risk

Jan 6, 2012

Hello Dr. I hope help me 4 weeks ago I had a risk with a prostitute which I performed unprotected oral sex then I do vaginal sex with condom thing is that 2 weeks ago gave me an acute pharyngitis with a duration of 4 days (treated with antibiotics) the day after I got sick with diarrhea sore throat to this day alrdedor of 9 days. These are symptoms of an HIV primary infection. PLEASE HELP.

thanks in advance ....


Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, Andy:

Yes, a sore throat and diarrhea would be considered symptoms associated with ARS. However, when looking at the entire situation, the question that has to be asked is - was there a high risk incident that occurred?

The answer to that question is no.

Oral sex has been, and remains a low-risk activity, and your condom use during vaginal sex effectively protected you against HIV. My personal opinion is that you do not need to be concerned about this situation as a risk for HIV. There would however be a risk for diseases transmitted via skin-to-skin contact, such as Syphilis. A full STD panel at the 90 day mark will give you both the reassurance you are looking for and an accurate answer for Syphilis.

Bottom line: If these symptoms persist, you should see a doctor to rule out other possible causes besides HIV.

In health,


Help SYPHILIS WORRY ! Can it be possible to contract from UNCLEAN MASTURBATING!!?
HIV risk after brief anal left some facts out last time

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint