Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my friend is HIV infected
Jan 6, 2012

Hi Dr. my friend is HIV infected. Me and my friend live together as a room partner. On his face so many pimples are there his pimples are always broken up and some blood is come out from his pimple. He always touches his finger to his pimple. He always broken his pimple by his finger. I have also so many pimples on my face and it have also broken up( by my finger and some times unfortunately). I have exima like skin disease therefore, some reddish and whitish spot are present on my body. And some blood is given out from them. We share towels, soap, pimple cream etc. My question is that, as I have pimples and skin problems (broken pimple) can it risky to live and sharing of towels, soap, pimple cream etc. with my HIV infected friend in above condition? We shaking hands, as my HIV infected friend always touches his pimple with his finger and the blood come out from his pimple is attached to his finger and during hand shaking his blood is also attached to my finger. After that sometimes I also touches my pimples with my finger and then my pimples also get broken up. Can I have to aware about this type of transmission of HIV? Can I have to live with my HIV infected friend in this condition?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. HIV is not spread through casual contact, and the virus does not live well outside of the body. However, it sounds like you both are popping your pimples, and there is blood involved. Still, any risk in this situation would be low to non-existent. My advice is that you sit down with your roommate and discuss your concerns. Through proper hand washing and a concerted effort not to pick at your pimples, I don't see any reason why the two of you can't live together quite safely.

As far as the towels and soap are concerned, keeping separate toiletries would be a precautionary measure since you have Eczema and are prone to broken skin. Again, the risk in this situation remains low to non-existent but it's worth being aware of. I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

Previous
I dont know how to thank you all in this website
Next
HIV and TB: the evil nexus.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.