Shannon, you and Dr Bob have conflicting opinions?

Hi Shannon, Just a quick question, after reading some of your posts, even questions asked by people who have a high risk exposure (ie: condom break with known HIV positive person) you state that testing at 3 months is conclusive. However, in these high risk situations Dr. Bob alwyas used to suggest testing out to 6 monthes for a conclusive result. I am a little confused. In my opinion if the window period is indeed 3 months like the CDC states then that should be applicable to the highest risk situations, since those are the people who truly require HIV testing. I'd like your opinion on the three month vs 6 month testing and delayed seroconversion

Thank You

Hi and thank you for your message, This is my message to folks regarding testing: Three months is conclusive. Rapid HIV tests, whether oral swab or blood are very accurate at 28 days, and conclusive at 90. However, when someone has had a known exposure to someone with HIV, you could perform a six month test, just to be extra cautious. New studies have come out over the last several months that if someone living with HIV, on treatment and has an undetectable viral load the chances of transmission is very low.

Thanks, Shannon

Fact or not
splashed in eye