Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Answer I need your advice
Jan 4, 2012

Hi. I have a question about casual contact. A guy at my job is HIV Positive. I am very nervous to work with him. I suffer from anxiety of catching hiv. What if he had a cut and opened the door then a few seconds later I opened the door and maybe had a papercut or right after proceeded to eat without washing my hands. Sometimes he has a scratch on his hand because he has a cat. Do I need to.wash my hands everytime I touch something he touched. I know I sound ignorant about this and am going to a therapist to help me with these fears. When they say hiv does not live well outside the body does that mean second minute hours. Please advice me and let me know if I should forget that he has hiv and live my life without worry or do I need to be super careful at work now? I will appreciate your input very much.

Response from Ms. Southall

Good news, there is no fear of getting HIV from casual contact. HIV does die almost immediately once it is outside of the body. I would not advise you to forget that he has HIV, what I would caution you about is yourself staying healthy. His immune system is at risk for catching colds and viruses. Please live your life without worry as long as you are not having unprotected sex or sharing needles with someone those are the areas of HIV transmission, where there is an immediate exchange of body fluid. In kindness, Shannon

Previous
A New Year I need your help to stop worrying!
Next
hi shannon,can i find a poz girl for marriage?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.