Windows periods for other STDs besides syphilis

Hi Richard,

1. Recently you answered a question about the window period for syphilis. Thank you so much for that. Now, could I please get the window periods for the following STDs as well? -- chlamydia, gonorrhea, hepatitis B and C.

2. How many different types of hepatitis are there and are all of them transmitted (or can be transmitted) sexually?

3. Besides the abovementioned ones, what other STDs should I be aware of and how do I get tested for each of them?

4. Is HIV/AIDS the only STD that is deadly?

Thank you!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Great questions! Here ya go...

1. The incubation period for Gonorrhea is usually 2 to 7 days. The incubation period for Chlamydia is usually 2 to 6 weeks, but can be longer. The incubation period for Hepatitis A is 15 to 50 days. The incubation period for Hepatitis B is usually 45-180 days, with an average of 60 to 90 days. The incubation period for Hepatitis C ranges from 2 weeks to 6 months - commonly, 6 to 9 weeks.

2. There are five different types of Hepatitis. Hepatitis A, B, C, D, & E. They can all be transmitted sexually.

3. See the link in #4 for a more comprehensive list of STD's. As for which ones to routinely screen for:

HIV: Blood or oral swab

Syphilis: Blood test

Chlamydia: Urine or swab

Gonorrhea: Urine or swab

In addition, everyone should be vaccinated for Hepatitis A/B, and women should have an annual pap tests to monitor changes that could be brought on by HPV.

4. No, HIV/AIDS is not the only STD that is deadly. There is a great article here that answers this question.

I hope this helps!

In health,

Richard

when to test
A New Year I need your help to stop worrying!