Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I stop trying to have a baby and get tested?
Jan 4, 2012

Hi there My wife and I are trying for our second child yet I have recently told her we should hold it off because of a possable HIV exposure.On December 8th 2011 I was having drinks with friends in a bar.One of my friends had another group with him who had joined us.To cut a long story short I had shook a hand of a girl in the group who ten minutes after the shake realised her hand was bleeding from breaking a glass earlier on the night.there was blood on the floor where she was sitting.In those ten minutes I don't remember if I put my hand in my mouth or rubbed my eye or anything.I dont remember any cuts on my hand either. She also poored me a drink and I dont know if blood fell on my glass where I put my mouth.On december 18th I got some chills followed by aches in my left shoulder and chest later two red bumps under each eye. Next day the bumps were gone but I had chills and nausia that couninued for two weeks. The red bumps came back again five days from the first appearance but dissapeared again.I got relief from panadol and anibiotics from my doctor.It's now jan 2nd and on my last dose of antibiotics and still fell kind of weak. Firstly is 10 days after exposure too early for ARS? I read in these forums 1-3 weeks then I read 2-3 weeks, which one is it? I know it varies from person to person but do people get it around the 10 day mark? Secondly are my symptoms similar to ars? Were the red bumps like mosquito bites that didnt ich an ars rash? Please help as I need to know if I need to wait 3 months before trying to have a baby since it's causing a stress on my marraige.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

In regards to the time frame for ARS symptoms, everyone is different. I'd expect the majority of people to experience the classic "flu-like" symptoms in the 2-3 week range, but it's possible that they could occur earlier. The symptoms you described do not sound like "flu-like" symptoms, and I do not think you had any risk to begin with. HIV does not live well outside the body. A situation like this would not present a risk for transmission. I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Blood (?) in mouth
Next
Big mistake and afraid

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.