Why Different Meds For PeP

I had a condon slip while having intercourse with my wife. We contacted her primary care doc who in turn contacted my ID doctor for recommened PeP meds. I have been on Atripla with good numbers for over two years. She was given Truvada, Norvir, and Prezista and is going in today for labs for an HIV "Baseline". This brings up some questions.

1. Is there a particular reason that these particular meds were prescribed instead of the med that I have been on successfully, considering the possible exposure was from me?

2. If HIV antibodies can be detected within a day or two of exposure, why the mandatory 12 Week wait before getting a definite test result?

On a separate note, what is the relationship of taking ED drugs, Viagra, Cialis, while on HIV meds. It appears the the three day versions are not acceptable, but the single day doses are OK. I'm not using them, I'm just curious.

Thanks for your responses.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

1. There may be. I would check with the physician who prescribed the medication.

2. 12 weeks is the amount of time needed for a conclusive negative result. A positive result can be obtained much sooner.

Here is some more information regarding the interaction between HAART and drugs for erectile dysfunction.

I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

Need some guidance
HIV via breast milk and oral sex?