Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

6 month monitoring
Dec 23, 2011

my last visit on 12/19 my ID told me that I only need to visit every 6 months now. I was diagnosed in 8/2005 VL 236 86,000 30%. I immediately started Sustiva & Truvada & was switched in 7/2006 to Atripla. I went undetectable within a month of starting meds & have maintained an undetectable status for over 6yrs now. My current labs were 850 undetectable 54%. HDL 83 LDL 116 triglycerides 45. all liver function came back perfectly normal. He explained that since I have maintained a UD status for over 6yrs, my CD4 hasnt dropped below 800 in over 2yrs & all other tests are perfectly normal that 6 month testing would not be unrealistic. Ive never questioned his professional opinion, and have absolutely no issues with him, or the staff... they are all truly amazing. Im just wondering how common practice 6 month testing is in the US. He told me if I still wanted to visit every 3 months I could... but it wasnt necessary at this point. I am very adherent, have no weight, drug, alcohol, stress issues... guess Id just like another perspective before making such a seemingly radical choice.

Thanks for all you guys here do!!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Congratulations on such great success.

I do not think it is unreasonable to monitor every 6 months since you ahve a proven record of success and stability. Things are much less likely to change when you have been controlled without eveidence of toxicity for this long. I have a number of long-term patients who come every 6 months and are doing just fine.

Have a great and healthy New Year!

Joe

Previous
Desperate for an opinion - 2 very specific question!
Next
HIV Testing Window

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.