Dec 22, 2011
In order to get a new strain or subtype does that person have to be from a remote place in the world
| Response from Mr. Cordova
No. It is possible that in the future new HIV subtypes may appear as virus recombination and mutation continues to occur. However, the most-up-to date (fourth generation) antibody tests detect both HIV-1 and HIV-2 infections including rare groups and subtypes.
I hope this helps.
In health, Richard
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can My Penis Fall Off From An Std?
- How Long Does It Normally Take For Your Pap Smear Test Results Come Back?
- How Long Until Std Test Results Come Back?
- Is Hep C Contagious If Inactive?
- Is It Possible To Have Sores On You Private Part Without It Being An Std?
- Can You Share Nail Polish And Not Get Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.