Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Real risk?
Dec 21, 2011

I had a worker in my home (HIV status unknown) who cut himself. I was cleaning up the spot of blood with a paper towel that had windex on it, when I felt it sting a crack in my finger that I get in cold weather. I am not sure if the blood seeped through the windex or not. What is my risk of exposure? I am currently breastfeeding a child and am also very concerned about potentially exposing my baby.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I would not be to concerned. HIV does not live well outside the body and would not be able to jump through the paper towel. In the future, you could certainly handle other people's bodily fluids with gloves, just to be safe!

Blood does not cause a sting, Windex does. It's most likely what you felt was the Windex getting onto your hand, not their blood.

Bottom line: I would not be worried!

In health, Richard

Previous
is my mind playing tricks?
Next
is it possible to get hiv after condom protected oral? please, please sir, answer me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.