is my mind playing tricks?

Hey Dr. Cordova, at the end of september, I had unprotected sex with a class mate of mine. two weeks later i was diagnosed with herpes simplex 2, must of gotten it from her. naturally i began to research symptoms and complications of herpes and saw that hiv and herpes are closely related. i began to research hiv symptoms and i guess i started to watch for signs on my body. i know that anyone can get hiv so i got tested. one antibody at 5 weeks, pcr dna test and antibody at 6 weeks and a recent antibody at 11 weeks. all negative. i realize that a negative antibody test at 3 months is a 'golden rule' for ruling out infection but can i still put my wondering mind to rest with these results?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Yes, 12 weeks is conclusive, but I would feel confident in the results of your 11 week results. I would say that you could wait for your next scheduled HIV test. However, if you are filled with anxiety, you could certainly go in for the 12 week test, just to be safe.

As for catching Herpes from your class mate, it's possible but not a given. A person can catch Herpes and not experience an outbreak for weeks, months, or years. Some people never have an outbreak.

I am not sure if you were diagnosed through a blood, culture, or visual test. If it was a blood test, then it's very possible that you acquired the infection at a much earlier time.

I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

STD question
Real risk?