STD question

I had sex with a guy I met online. We had protected sex but I didn't realize the condom slipped off. He was inside for about 4-5 seconds unprotected. Should I get tested for STDs like herpes, hiv, etc? I am extremely anxious.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Certain STD's, such as Herpes and Syphilis are transmitted from skin-to-skin contact. Even with a condom, it's possible for transmission to occur. Herpes is pretty common, and you've likely come into contact with it already. I would not recommend screening for it, unless you're experiencing an outbreak in the genital region. Cold sores/fever blisters (on/near the lips) are also Herpes, and there is over-the-counter medication that can help shorten the duration, should you get one.

Syphilis is another STD that you should be screened for on an annual basis. If you have a lot of sexual partners, you might benefit from testing for Syphilis every six months.

Gonorrhea and Chlamydia are fluid based. As long as you are using condoms for penetrative sex, I would not be too concerned.

Your risk for HIV was still fairly low due to the short length of time that he was inside of you, but was still a risk. You could get an accurate HIV test at 90 days or just wait until your next scheduled HIV test (if that is after the 90 day mark).

Bottom line: A full screening on an annual to six month basis will usually suffice. Be sure to keep the condom on from start to finish, each and every time.

I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

Do most people with HIV have other stds
is my mind playing tricks?