Broken condom with positive partner

About a week ago I had protected anal intercourse with my partner (something we do once in a blue moon). This time, the condom broke. We realized after a minute or so and stopped. He did not ejaculate. He is on meds and his viral load is undetectable. He doesn't ever really have precum. I have a stomache ache / diarrhea and my skin feels flush - no fever though. Driving myself a little crazy of course! Did I have a risky exposure or not? Thanks for any help

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

There was a risk, but since it was an isolated incident, he is undetectable, did not ejaculate inside of you, and it was for a limited amount of time, it's likely that transmission DID NOT occur. You need to get tested at the 90 day mark. If you cannot wait for the 90 day mark, a 25 day test will give you a good indicator of what your 90 day result will be.

It may be helpful to discuss the use of Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) with your doctor. PEP, a 28-day course of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), started within 72 hours can keep you negative should something like this happen again. Especially if he were to ejaculate inside you.

I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

HIV from casual contact
Worried Sick Please Respond