Please help me this time!!!

I have a question which may be silly, but I really hope you can help me. Two days ago, I had a traffic accident. I was not badly hurt, but one thing (just like a pin, but I did not notice what it really was) pricked my arm. I am sure I was slowly bleeding. At the same time, I quickly began to stop my brother's bleeding. However, what makes me scared is that after that I found a drop of blood on my pin hole, I am sure it was my brother's. And at that time I was slowly bleeding too. So if he is HIV+, can I get infected by other's blood through my bleeding pin hole? PLZ help me!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

When a break in the skin occurs and a person starts to bleed, one benefit, is that germs are pushed away from the body. When we talk about situations like this presenting a risk for HIV, it would be under more extreme circumstances, such as during a fist fight. In this scenario, someone's blood could literally be forced into your body in great enough quanitites to cause an infection. However, even in a case like that, it's possible, but not probable.

Bottom line: I would not be concerned.

In health, Richard

How can I find out if my wife is immune to hiv?
Roommates