naproxen and atripla

Hi.. I have recently strained my hand and urgent care prescribed naproxen 500 mg tablets for swelling.... I am currently taking atripla vl - undetectable, tcells - 481 and all other blood work normal - liver and kidney in normal functions. Is this safe to take with atripla? Thank you.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

There is a drug interaction between Naproxen and the Tenofovir portion of Atripla. I would check with your doctor or the urgent care, to see if there are alternatives that you can take. Good luck.

In health, Richard

Hi and thanks for posting.

While there isn't a true drug-drug interaction between naproxen and tenofovir, both have the potential to cause kidney injury. So, if your kidney function is normal, there's little harm in short term use of naproxen for your injury (though it's a good idea to avoid getting dehydrated); be sure to let your health care provider know if you need to take the naproxen longer.

Be well, BY

can two gay men get aids
How can I find out if my wife is immune to hiv?