Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please advise on current status. Do I need more testing or is it conclusive with OraQuick Rapid Oral Fluid Test
Dec 2, 2011

I was communicating with Dr. Bob from The Body just before his passing and I was working in a remote area of South Africa at the time I was exposed and then communicating with Dr. Bob. Since Dr. Bob's passing I am unable to get any info to answerer my questions.

When I finally made a visit back to the USA I went to an HIV outreach health clinic and I told the consular about my exposure with an HIV+ female, (busted condom) etc... (I am male) at that time it was 10 weeks post exposure. The consular suggested that I do a HIV-1 RNA PCR Real Time Viral Load blood test since I was still inside the 3 month & 6 month window period. My VL test at post 10 weeks came out to undetectable HIV-1 RNA <20 copies/mL with the COBAS® AmpliPrep/COBAS® TaqMan® HIV-1 Test, v2.0 system that was FDA approved in 2010.

Also, when I went to get my VL results which was right at post 11 weeks the consular testing me with an OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 oral fluid test that came out non-reactive. I then retested at post 92 days with same type of oral fluid test (non-reactive), also I retested again at post 118 days with the oral fluid test (non-reactive). At post 80 days I was diagnosed with a Folliculitis rash on my buttocks and left side of lower back. As of today at post 130 days I still have the rash on my left lower back.

Can I consider my results conclusive that I do not have HIV? I have read online a lot of mixed pros & cons about the RNA PCR VL test, also about the rapid oral fluid test given false negatives.

Do I need more testing out to 6 months since I did have a few ARS symptoms between week 2 and week 10?

Please advise as I am back in South Africa on a contract job for the next 75 days and I have no one to discuss this with.

Thanks and I look forward in you responce.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

None of the symptoms you describe make me think they are HIV related. Your tests post 90 days were conclusive. Oral swabs have a higher incidence of false-positives, but you can trust the results of a negative result, post 90 days.

Bottom line: No further testing is warranted at this time.

In health, Richard

Previous
erection problem
Next
can two gay men get aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.