living with someone with HIV

My sister that lives in another state has had Aids for several years. I want to ask her to visit this summer, 2012. I am 66 y/o she is in her late 50s. One of my daughters will give birth in May. I know about the blood & body fluids. I am more concerned about bedding, glasses, plates, silverware and the new baby. Just general contacts. What precautions should we as a family take and still show my sister love.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. You have nothing to worry about. General contact (and that includes kissing new babies) can not transmit the virus. You have nothing to worry about (did I say that twice?).

Also, even if let's say, your sister is in the kitchen and happens to cut herself, don't panic! Just clean up any blood with any household cleaner and make sure she puts a band-aid on (as any of us would).

Bottom line: Relax, and enjoy the time with your family.

In health, Richard

Medical Exposure to HIV
ELISA at 9 months