Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medical Exposure to HIV
Dec 1, 2011

Hi Dr, My situation is as follows. I went to a local walk in clinic as my family Dr is on holidays. It was in a not so great part of town where lots of drug addicts etc frequent that clinc. Anyways when the Dr came into the room he already had gloves on I don't know if they were from the last patient he saw I assume so because why would he put on gloves just to come into the room to talk to a patient without knowing what the patient required.. He led me into the exam room with the same gloves on left the room to let me change and got supplies and whatever touching door handles etc, came back into the room gloves still on and performed the vaginal exam on me with the same gloves. My concern is that i don't think the dr was very diligent about changing his gloves that day and I had some open areas on my vagina due to irritation from a possible infection. Not to mention he took the swabs and two days later I got a phone call saying they were not even labelled what they were for so the lab couldn't process them, which makes me even less trustworthy of hos practicing tecniques. My concern is not that I got hiv from him touching door handles and then touching me I know that is not possible, my concern is that he did not change his gloves after the previous patient. My questions for you are as follows: 1 )Do you think that I require HIV Testing? 2) If he did have bodily fluid from someone else on his gloves and did a vaginal exam on me( he did not put any finger into my vagina just a speculum and took swabs), what would be my risk of aquiring hiv or some other infection? 3) What percent reliability would a 7 week 3rd generation HIV test done have ? and lastly 5) Would being pregnant affect my seroconversion time? I would really appreciate your opinion as I don't know much on the topic and I am very concerend because I'm pregnant. Thank you so much and I await your response.

Sincerely , Worried Mom

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. To answer your questions:

1. Not for this incident but if it has been awhile, I would recommend testing just as a routine procedure.

2. No risk. HIV does not live well outside the body and his hands were not even inside of you.

3. 12 weeks is conclusive. Seven weeks would give you a good indication, but not a definitive answer.

4. No.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

In health, Richard

Previous
Kiss incident follow up -
Next
living with someone with HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.