My Pregnant girlfreind

My girlfriend of five years tested HIV positive on a full blood test, i had never tested for HIV before I'm scarred i might be Positive too.. but what worries me in the past Four to Five years we together we had never experienced any symptoms... can this be a false positive test or what i know in the past two months i have had sex with other two different girls without protection, I'm scarred and feeling sooo bad about our baby!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. It's possible that your girlfriend's test came back with a false positive, although depending on the test, it's highly unlikely. I would find out if they are doing a confirmation test on your girlfriend; in the meantime, you need to go get tested.

I can only imagine how scary this must seem, but the health of you and your family is on the line, and it's time to act.

If your girlfriend is positive, she will want to get on HAART treatment ASAP so that she can reduce the likelihood of transmitting the virus to the baby. Done correctly, an HIV positive mother can carry a child to term and have less than a 2% chance of transmitting the virus. Those are pretty good odds!

If your test comes back positive, you will need to inform your previous partners, so that they too can get tested. I would advise that they test at the standard 90 days window and then again at 120 days, just to be safe. If your test comes back negative, you will want to test out at 90 and 120 days from the last time you and your girlfriend had unprotected penetrative sex.

Going forward if either of you are HIV postive, you will want to protect each other by using condoms during penetrative sex.

Below are some links to resources here on TheBody.com that I think will be helpful...

Just Diagnosed

Women and HIV

Resource Center for Women

You and your family will be OK. Living with HIV is not the death sentence that it used to be, thankfully. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

In health, Richard

What in blazes is serum?!
HIV pregnancy and running out of time!