HIV Testing After Rape

I was anally raped a month and a half ago, I went to the hospital 2 days later and had a rapid HIV test done at the hospital. It came back negative. Should I be retested? And if so, when? Also, he didn't ejaculate but I'm still worried about other possible STD's. The hospital never tested me for anything else.. What should I do?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. I am sorry to hear that happened to you.

An anti-body test two days after an incident would not be enough time to get an accurate result. However, it is possible that they did a PCR DNA test which looks for bits of the virus and can give an accurate result that quickly.

If you wait until the 90 day mark, you can get an accurate anti-body test result and get screened for all other STD's. If you do not want to wait that long, you can go in now and get screened for all STD's including HIV and then get a final HIV test at the 90 day mark. I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

unprotected
transmission from training partner at gym