Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long do HIV symptoms last?
Nov 23, 2011

I had unprotected sex with a long time friend. I know she tested negative for HIV long before we had sex. About 5 weeks after that i caught a cold from my brother. It was on and off then about 8 weeks later i began to have constant headaches, a lymph node at my groin and chest discomforts, probably an enlarged spleen. I've had these same symptoms for 3 weeks now. Its now 11 weeks after the sex. Do HIV symptoms last this long? So Far i've had No Fever, No rash on trunk, No Fatigue, No night sweats, No white tongue, and No weight lost. I know she has been HIV negative, but i dont know why i'm having these symptoms and why there are still here. I thought HIV symptoms only last a week or two. I've been bitten by a cat weeks before i dont know if that whats wrong, but my brother and his girlfriend have been bitten too but they are not sick. Thank you for helping

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Symptoms by themselves are never a reliable way of diagnosing an HIV infection. An anti-body test, outside the 90 day window is the best way to find out what your status is. For those suffering from the flu-like symptoms commonly associated with HIV sero-conversion, they would be long gone by 11 weeks.

You did have a risk because of the unprotected penetrative sex. You can get a test 90 days from the exposure to find out if an infection has occurred.

In health, Richard

Previous
I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for such a wonderful resource as this site.
Next
condom broken

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.