Needle Window?

Why is it that needle stick injuries(deep ones) are recommended to test out to 6 months, and in some guidelines out to 12 months? I would think that an exposure is an exposure regardless of the route, so wouldn't 3 months be just as sufficient?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Needle stick injuries require testing further out because of the risk of exposure to Hepatitis (HCV). Three months would not be sufficient enough of a time period to test for HCV.

HCV and HIV can both be passed during a needle stick injury, where as HCV is not as easily passed during other routes of exposure. I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

DNA PCR - Concern about Rare Subtypes
I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for such a wonderful resource as this site.