The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Relationship with a guy who has hiv.

Nov 22, 2011

I'm in a relationship with a guy who has hiv. He told me a month to start our relationship, just a few days. In the meantime we had unprotected sex twice during the first few minutes (oral and vaginal sex) and then continue to use condoms. I have the order for me the test, but I would like to know what I have risk of infection. Also what measures to use to lessen the risk from now on, since it is not in my plans to sever the relationship with him because I'm in love. I appreciate the information and suggestions you can give me.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

The unprotected vaginal sex definitely posed a risk. You will need to have a rapid test at 90 days from the exposure to find out if transmission has occurred.

Is he on HAART? In addition to using condoms, he can lessen the risk of transmission by making sure that his viral load is as low as possible (which he can do by taking medications for his HIV). In addition, I would suggest that when possible, try to avoid letting him ejaculate inside of you during penetrative sex. This will lower the likelihood of transmission, should the condom break without you knowing it.

When you have a moment, check out the archived Expert Forum called Mixed-HIV-Status Couples. This forum has tons of questions (and answers)from people in your situation.

I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

I feel I have lupus, but this could defintely be HIV
spa experience - possible risk?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint