Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just want to be excited about pregnancy, please help me
Nov 15, 2011

12 years ago (july 1999), I performed oral sex on a boyfriend (swallowed, yuck). Additionally, I handled/spot treated a tee shirt he'd worn after being in a fight (stupid, we were in highschool, pretty sure the blood was all his but could have been the guy he got into a fight with, who I don't know). About 2 weeks later I became ill. Fever, sore throat, flu-like symptoms and VERY PAINFUL genital ulcers...several on each side of the mucosal part of my vagina. Went to the doctor who was "sure" it was herpes. Tests were all negative. Saw a plethora of doctors and was repeatedly tested for every STI in the book, all negative. Symptoms resolved approx. 2 to 3 weeks later. In 2002 became aware of hiv acute seroconversion illness (thanks google) and it seemed to fit my previous symptoms. Tested for HIV by my GP, negative. Tested again by another GP negative. Since then, I've had approx. 9 more tests including, Oraquick Advance, Genetic Systems HIV 1/2/O, Taqscreen MPX, etc. up to September 2011 which have all been negative. Additionally, in 2006 had a 2 viral load tests (amplicor)which showed no virus could be detected and my CD4 count was 734 and CD8 count was 490. These tests were performed 7 years post incident. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant and I'm just terrified of the possibility that I have some rare form of HIV (group N??) that I will pass on to my child. I did grow up in Northern VA and there were several students in my highschool from Africa. It terrifies me that I never got an answer for what those genital ulcers were. Please answer, I am so sad and scared. I just want to be able to let this go. Thank you so very much.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Given the circumstances you described, the likelihood of you contracting HIV from performing oral sex is very low. In addition, testing for an incidence of oral sex is not warranted.

You can trust the results of your HIV test. The group N virus has only been found in remote areas of Cameroon and so unless those students were from that specific area AND you were having repeated unprotected intercourse with them, I would not be concerned.

As for the ulcers on your vagina, it's unclear but it does sound like you were experiencing a primary outbreak of herpes (hpv), hence the additional symptoms that accompanied the ulcers. Herpes tests can be tricky depending on which ones you do, and when you do them.

Bottom line: You can trust your HIV test. You are negative. If you like, you might find some answers from going to your doctor for an HPV PCR DNA test. Whatever the results from that test, your HIV status will not change.

I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

Previous
hiv risk if you have hpv
Next
Do i have an STD?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.