Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Further Testing Required??
Nov 14, 2011

Richard

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have had 5 negative tests. All tests have been 4th generation AB and AG tests. The tests have been at intervals of 20 months, 21 months, 22 months and finally my last test was in October of this year, 30 months since my potential exposure (unprotected vaginal) with a female of unknown status. After my 5th negative test, which was a rapid test, I went along to the GUM clinic, hoping they might test me using a NAAT/PCR. The GUM clinic refused to test me, advising I had been given too many tests.

The problem I have is the symptoms are not allowing me to get over this. A week after my exposure, I had major sore throat to the point were I could not swallow. Went to the doctors who diagnosed me with tonsilitis. I forgot about this when the tonosilitis went away. Then in December of last year, I had swollen lymph nodes in groin, and Jock Itch. This was when I went for my 1st negative test. I then went to the GUM clinic, who gave me a full STD screening. All results negative. I was hapy with this, and resumed sex with my wife. About 3 weeks later, she had a red flat rash across her face. With this, I became worried again. I had a further two tests in February and March, again both negative.

Since then I have tried to forget about this, but I cannot because of the symptoms. I have had oral thrush for the past 6 months which is not going away despite medication. I keep getting a rash beneath my foreskin, which flares up and then go's away after a couple of days. I have had further swollen nodes in my armpits, and finally one on my neck which will not go away. I have had further ringworm infections. The doctors have said all of this is possibly stress related..

Do you think further testing is required?

I am so worried, and this is now affecting my every day life.

If you could take the time to reply to this, I would be grateful

Best Regards

James

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, James:

Thanks for writing in. No further testing is required at this time. 90 days is considered conclusive. It is true, stress can cause many real or perceived symptoms. Does your wife know about this incident? Stepping outside the primary relationship can cause high levels of anxiety for many people, especially if they have to keep it a secret.

Bottom line: These symptoms are not HIV related.

In health, Richard

Previous
HIV Aids from Animal Sex
Next
hiv risk if you have hpv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.