Both of us are positive and medicinally treated..

No matter who you ask, you will always be told that regardless if both you and your partner is HIV +, you still need to use condoms. But my question is a bit more specific. If both my partner and I are on medications (Granted, different sets of medications) and we both respond very well to them, is there really a risk of mutation for one of us to get a medicinally resistant strain of HIV? I mean, these "super strains" are one that's arent respondent to medications. This question is not about the risks of other STD's but just in relation to HIV. Thanks for your help!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. To answer your question, yes, it is possible to get a resistant strain and then to subsequently pass it to your partner. How likely that is remains a different story. While you and your partner are responding well to your medications now, that may not always be the case. It is possible, that at some point, the medications you or your partner are on, will stop working due to your specific virus becoming resistant to one or more of the medications that you are taking. If that happens and you are not getting your viral load checked every 3 to 4 months, then you might not catch a rising viral load that is made up of a now resistant strain of HIV. This strain could then be passed onto your partner and while he is on HIV medications, it is possible that the new strain is resistant to one or more of the medications he is on.

If you and your partner are choosing not to use condoms, then my suggestion would be to make sure you are getting your viral load checked every 3 to 4 months so you can catch a failing regimen and an emerging resistant strain of HIV, should it occur. In addition, be sure to take your medication as prescribed and do not miss a dose. Missing too many doses will increase the likelihood of creating a resistant strain of the virus. Lastly, do not cum inside your partner during penetrative sex.

I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

Anal sex male to male for less than 30 seconds
Treatment of Syphilis?