Symptoms

Hi there !

Is this possible to develop HIV symptoms 6 months after possible exposure ? I meant that I had exposure in December 2009 and in May 2010 I had bronchitis and then in June I got swollen lymph in my neck which is still there. One year later I got more swollen lymphs in neck and that area above collar bone. The question is : is there a chance that they are linked together even though it's been a year and is this possible to get swollen lymph related to hiv 6 months after exposure ?

One swollen lymph in June 2010 - more ( much smaller ), non-tender and palable 14 months later - are they linked ? Is this generalized lymphadenopathy ? I don't have more swollen lymphs.

PS: I also have a problem with my teeth since couple of months, my dentist told me to do somethingg about it.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

You mention an exposure in December 2009, but you do not mention getting an HIV test at any point. If it has been longer that six months to a year since your last test, I would recommend getting one, simply because you are due for one.

In regards to HIV symptoms, Do you mean the flu-like symptoms that some people get after becoming infected with the virus? If so, the answer is no. Those happen prior to six months, and more importantly, not everyone experiences those symptoms; they can not be used an indicator of whether or not an infection has taken place.

Only an HIV test, outside of the 90 day window period can tell you if an infection has taken place.

As for the swollen lymph nodes, I would suggest seeing your doctor to find out the cause.

In health, Richard

HIV first test was positive and second was intermidiate