Is this real?

Dear Dr. Bob

I had sex with a positive HIV man on Nov 2010 and had just found out about it recently that he was positive. We didn't use protection and there was oral sex involved. When I found out he was a positive, I asked for an explanation why he didn't tell me, he said that he knew he was doing it save cause at that time he drank ARV, his virus was "sleeping"/undetected and his cd4 was 429. I finally took the test, Anti HIV (CMIA) and the result was Non Reactive index 0.10 on Oct 29th.2011. Here's what I want to ask :

1. Is the test conclusive? 2. Do I have to take another test? 3. If his virus was "sleeping", is it possible that I have the virus and they're "sleeping" too?

Oh, I don't think I have any kind of significant symptoms, but I read that many people don't experience any... Please explain this Doc, for I haven't been sleeping well ever since I found out, which was 2 weeks ago... I even suffer sickness which I know happens because my mind is playing with me...

Thanks a lot... God bless...

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. In response to your questions...

1. Yes, the test is conclusive. You can get an accurate result 12 weeks from the exposure. You are well outside that window.

2. No

3. His virus is not sleeping. Due to the medications that he is on, the amount of virus that is in his blood stream is less than 50 copies per milliliter of blood. This is called being undetectable. Being undetectable lowers the likelihood of transmitting the virus. He is only undetectable because of the medications that he is taking. If he had transmitted the virus to you, you would not become undetectable on your own. You too would have to start on medications.

Bottom line: Don't worry. You are did not contract HIV during this incident.

In health, Richard

Shaking hands with positive man with cut on nose.
HIV first test was positive and second was intermidiate