Shaking hands with positive man with cut on nose.

Hey,

I'm being REALLY paranoid but I just need to settle my anxiety. Yesterday I shook hands with my girlfriend's housemate, who has HIV. I noticed that I had a cut on my nose and there was a small amount of blood on my hand. His hands weren't cut or anything. Is there even the remotest possibility of infection? Say if I put my finger in my nose? Do you need to basically rub open, seeping wounds into each other in order to catch HIV this way?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Have you considered that maybe the blood on your hand was your own blood, and was from the cut on your nose? Either way, I would not be concerned. You are correct in your statement, that you would basically have to rub open, seeping wounds into each other in order for there to even be a risk of infection.

In health, Richard

Mononucleosis
Is this real?