HIV blood in my food

I was ahving dinner with a very recently diagnosed HIV + friend, as he sat down he tore off his fingernail and unknowlingly flicked blood arcoss the table. We patched him up and went back to dinner(within 5 minutes), i noticed after finishing my food there was blood drops on the table and on the edges of my plate...i probably consummed some HIV positive blood in my food. I am concerned. I got very sick 3 weeks later with cold i couldnt chake off for 4 wks! I know the forum has discussed this topic previously (with paranoid people noticing a questionable "red smear" on their food)but i KNOW it was HIV positive blood and it was fresh. Its only been 9 wks, to early to get tested?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. I would not be concerned. The virus does not live well outside the body. Within a minutes time, the virus would start to die, making in UNABLE to infect you. Furthermore, even if he had stuck his bloody finger in your mouth, your mouth would have to be filled with open cuts or sores for the chance of an infection to even be a remote possibility. HIV needs direct access to your bloodstream for an infection to take place. Any HIV that finds it's way into your stomach, as in the case of oral sex, is killed by the acids in our stomach.

I hope this helps.

In health. Richard

Wotried about contracting hiv
dengue fever/HIV