The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why should my wife get HIV after so many years

Nov 6, 2011

My wife and I have been having unprotected sex for just over ten years now - at the time my viral load was very high. we have had two healthy children 9 & 5. all this time my wife has tested negative whilst i remain positive.why should we worry about protection particularly since my viral load is undetected and at some stage she was exposed a very high viral load? should we see this as an indication that my wife is resistance to the HIV virus? E

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, E:

Thanks for writing in. While there is a lot of debate over this issue at the moment, I would have to encourage you and your wife to use condoms for penetrative sex.

It is very fortunate for you, your wife, and your children that you did not pass on the virus during unprotected sex. While having unprotected penetrative sex is a risk, that does not mean that an infection will absolutely occur. That being said, while we know that a reduced viral load reduces the risk of transmission, it does not eliminate the risk. "Blips" or random spikes in your viral load can bring your undetectable viral load up and therefore increase the risk of transmission.

Again, my suggestion is that you consider the use of condoms. To date, the proper use of condoms remains one of our best defenses against the spread of HIV.

I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

Lithium & Alprazolam (Xanax) affect HIV Antibody Test Results?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint