Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scratch by dog
Nov 4, 2011

Hi.

Last week I visited a HIV+ friend. I brought my small dog (Yorkshire Terrier) that likes to scratch people's legs as a greeting. He scratched my friend's leg (I didn't notice if he bled) and 2-3 minutes afterwards the dog scratched my arm, I didn't bleed but the skin burned and got red, and the outer broke a little.

I know that the H in HIV stands for 'human' and that dogs cannot contract it, but could the (hypothetical) blood in the dog's nail be fresh enough in order to be infective? Am I at risk?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. No, there is no risk. Even if there was HIV infected blood on the dog's nails:

A. The virus would start to die the moment it left the human body, rendering it unable to infect you.

B. Your skin wasn't broken. No broken skin = no way for the virus to enter your body

I hope this helps.

In health, Richard

Previous
hiv negative should partner be tested
Next
touched old semen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.