acidental prick of needle from diabetic patient

I am a student. After giving an insulin injection to diabetic patient the needle accidently pricked my finger. I squeezed the pricked area and washed the affected area with antiseptic liquid. Now what should i do...Please help me

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. I would advise that you get tested for HIV (at 90 days) & Hep C (at 4 to 6 months). I assume you already have your Hep B vaccine, if not - you'll want to be tested for Hep B as well. If you wanted to, you could get tested for both Hep C & HIV at the four month mark. If the patient is still in your care, they could be tested as well, this would provide you the answers you are looking for.

The hospital or setting you are working in, should have a needle stick protocol in place for situations like this. However, in the event that this happens again, you should IMMEDIATELY report the incident to a supervisor.

3week and 10 week nagtive after risk?am i safe ?
Sorry to bother u again