Daycare Question

I know parents of HIV+ children do not need to report to their daycare/school if their child is HIV positive, because they are supposed to use barrier method on all bodily fluids. That meaning, they always wear gloves and there is no risk of transmitting.

My question is, if my daycare had a child who was adopted (and was born from a mother who was addicted to cocaine) and we did not know if the child was infected, could there be a risk of catching something? I ask because once the child was bleeding from the mouth and without thinking i just ran and grabbed a tissue to stop the blood and I had a healing hangnail (with a little raw skin and a tiny scab) on one of my fingers, and I'm wondering what the possibility of contracting HIV would be if some blood got on this healing wound.

Like I said, I do not know if this child is infected, she may not be, but we are not allowed to ask and I'm wondering if I should be worried.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

Thanks for writing in. I would not be concerned. Even if some blood got on the healing wound, that does not mean that an infection would take place. While a healing wound implies that there is broken skin, that does not mean that there is direct access to the bloodstream. Direct access to the bloodstream would be needed for an infection to take place. Once a wound begins to heal, new cells start to form. These cells form a barrier against dirt, debris, and germs (like HIV).

I hope this helps.

In Health, Richard

popping zits with dirty finger nails
HIV Positive or not?