Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HERPES and VAGINAL SEX
Nov 1, 2011

Hi there. I am HIV negative women with herpes on my butt (unusual, I know). My boyfriend is HIV positive and not sure if he has herpes or not.

I am wondering if we need to take special precaution due to my herpes status. Of course we'll use condoms, but is there anything else we should do in addition to the condom?

Thank you.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there!

Thanks for writing in. Before I get to your question, you should know that having herpes on your butt isn't so unusual. The fact is, genital herpes can occur anywhere in the boxer short region. What that means is that, if you were to put on a pair of your boyfriend's boxer shorts, it's possible for the outbreaks to occur anywhere the shorts cover.

In response your question

Special Precautions 101 1. Continue to use condoms

2. Avoid sexual contact during active outbreaks

3. Consider Suppressive Therapy

Going onto suppressive therapy will help reduce the chances of spreading the virus to your partner even more. Also, suppressive therapy can shorten the duration and intensity of any outbreaks that do occur (which is good) and the side-effects are minimal for most people. Because of your partners HIV status, it's a good idea that this is on your radar. I'd suggest making an appointment with your doctor to discuss if suppressive therapy is the right option for you.

For more information on herpes, check out the herpes section on thebody.

Additional easy to understand information can be found on the Center for Disease Control's website.

Previous
I'm scared of something that I shouldn't be
Next
Masturbate and Oral sex, please help me sir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.