I'm scared of something that I shouldn't be

I've written before. Overly worried bartender girl who got pokes by a lapel pen and someone three up by the bar.

Recently you reassured me that I was woo hooable after testing negative at the 3 month mark.

Well, 2 weeks ago (from yesterday) I was walking downtown filming a wedding video for work and I felt something slide into my sandal and poke my foot. It didn't bleed and I did not see a mark really.

My fear is obviously that I stepped on a used needle or syringe containing fresh HIV blood. I am in my early 20's in a commited relationship ( not sleeping around) and I don't use any drugs. I honestly was able to put it out of my mind and then yesterday I got the flu (it feels like it at least). Sore throat, headache, chills. Stuffy nose. Weakness. Realistically, I spent the whole weekend outside at a music festival, drinking and it rained on us so I feel like that is a pretty sure way to get sick. Scared because I'm the only one who has it and it is so unfortunate that I got such exactly 2 weeks later.

1) Do you think I have anything to worry about from that incident? 2) Have you ever seen a case where that happened? 3) What to you think about my symptoms? 4) I'm scared I won't be able to stop this thought pattern, I don't want to think like this forever. If you do think that this is nothing to be worried about, where should I seek help?

I'm reading You Can Heal Your Life right now and it's amazing but... I think I need to talk to someone.

I am going to make another donation to the foundation as well. Thanks for listening and having such a great heart with patience for people like myself.

Best, Worried lady who doesn't feel to hot.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi Worried Lady:

First off, you mention that you've written before. If has been to this forum, then it's likely that Dr. Bob was kind enough to respond to your concern. I hope I can do him justice in my own responses to your fears.

OK, here goes let's answers those questions!

1. No, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even if it were a needle or syringe the likelihood that you would have been able to prick yourself with the tip while walking with ANY kind of shoe covering (sandals included) would be non-existent. It was likely a pebble or a rock that got in your sandal, which is the price we pay for letting our little piggies run around in the fresh air.

2. Nope. Never.

3. "Realistically, I spent the whole weekend outside at a music festival, drinking and it rained on us so I feel like that is a pretty sure way to get sick" Yep, I agree!

4. My radar is up as well. You mentioned that you have written in before, and I am sure you have these types of thoughts more often then just when you write to thebody and other forums. These kind of reoccurring thoughts can really hinder enjoyment in life and I'm glad that you are doing some self-work! Continue reading that book!

You said that you think you need to talk to someone and I think that sounds like a good idea. If you have health insurance, my suggestion would be to access the mental health services that are available to you. Being able to talk about these fears can be very helpful and a nice supplement to the self-work that you're already doing. To be honest, I LOVE my therapist, it's when I can be totally open about. If you don't have insurance, I would suggest the State of Illinois HIV & STD hotline. Their hotline counselors have the most up-to-date information as it relates to HIV & other STD's and they are good listeners and can help you work through some of your fears.

Thank you for making that donation. Doing what we can to support the work of Dr. Bob will make the world a better place indeed!

In health, Richard

WAITING FOR A REPLY FROM DR. BOB??? PLEASE READ THIS!
HERPES and VAGINAL SEX