Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood test positive, mouth swab negative
Sep 13, 2011

Hi,

I had a blood test done (I believe thats the western blot) a few yrs back that came back positive. My boyfriend was in disbelief so we both got tested with the mouth swab test (I believe thats the Elisa test) and both came back negative. I am very confused and am reluctant to go back to do yet another test. The doctor that performed the later of the tests, the mouth swab, assured us everything is fine but I cant help but think about it. Is one test more accurate? and should I get tested for the third time? As well, I should mention that I have had several TB tests done and they can never tell if I have it until I do an xray...not sure if that effects anything but I thought I'd mention it.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

The doctor who assured you everything is fine is correct! Whoever ordered the first test, the Western Blot, did so in error! Western Blot tests should only be used to confirm a repeatedly reactive (positive) HIV-antibody screening test, such as an ELISA, EIA or rapid test. Testing with a Western Blot as an initial test can result in a false-positive result, because it is a more "specific" test than the preliminary tests, which are more "sensitive." See link below for a discussion of sensitive versus specific tests.

You shouldn't be fearful or reluctant about retesting. However, you should make sure the proper tests are ordered! Your issues with TB testing would not affect HIV-diagnostic testing results.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

hsv 2 positive hiv false positive (SENSITIVITY VERSUS SPECIFICITY, 2011) Jul 24, 2011

Previous
all classic symptoms of HIV and very confused. Have donated 3 times till now $300. Please help
Next
HIV Transmission from blood when undetectable??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.