Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can you get infected with HIV while being tested?
Sep 11, 2011

I am well aware that I have OCD and issues with being a hypochondriac and phobic... However I need to ask. For many years I had an irrational fear that I had HIV. I've only slept with a hand full of people, and I still know all of them... The odds didn't seem high to my rational mind, but my obsessive, phobic self made me convinced I had it. To make a long story short, after about 7 years of being convinced I was infected and being afraid to take a test, I decided it was time to get the test. Got the OraQuick Rapid Test at the local Health Department... As my rational mind expected, I was negative. However, a new fear has struck me hard. I have been obsessing at the thought that my finger was pricked and there was a port of entry into my blood stream. The nurse, who was amazing and seemed like she knew exactly what she was doing and talking about, was kind of squeezing the blood out, and then handed me a band aid that was open to put on. she said it tends to stick to her gloves if she tries to put it on. So I feel like "what if the blood of a previously tested person was somewhere that the nurse touched and then she touched my finger and that bandaid"... there was someone just before me who then had to wait 20 minutes Is this even remotely possible in this setting? My rational mind tells me that a place like the health department is well aware of the potential of spreading and there is no chance... however, I can not shake the thought without some clear cut advice...Please help, as I thought a negative test result would make me happy, and now the cycle of fear has just restarted.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Your OCD is OOC (out of control). The HIV-acquisition risk from getting an HIV-antibody test is nonexistent. You've spent seven years convinced you were HIV infected. Rather than restarting this destructive cycle once again, I suggest you consult a mental health professional to address your totally irrational, completely unwarranted fears surrounding HIV. Counseling could also help with your hypochondria and phobias.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV from deep penetrative sex
Next
YOU WERE RIGHT- AM NEGATIVE, BUT......................

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.