The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

vaginal secretions in water

Sep 11, 2011

I am a nurse at a gynocology clinic. After each exam the speculums used are put into a bucket that contains tap water and organisol. (a substance to help break down tissue) At the end of the day the speculum buckets are dumped into a sink to scrub in preparation to be autoclave sterilized. While scrubbing these speculums one evening, I had forgot to put on my goggles. While taking off my gloves that had been in the organisol water with the dirty speculums, a tiny drop of water hit my eye. This has never happened before and being in shock I finished up and drove home. I did rinse my eyes at that time. (15 min later) I had spoke with a clinician who stated my risk was really minimal, but I can't help being paranoid. Our only known hiv positive patient was seen that day.

Response from Dr. Frascino


I agree with the "clinician": Your HIV-acquisition risk is so remote it's essentially nonexistent. If you remain worried, get an HIV-antibody test outside the seroconversion window. The result will undoubtedly be negative, and the primary reason to even consider testing is merely to gain psychological peace of mind.

HIV doesn't live very long outside the body. Plus, the dilutional effect of the tap water and organisol would essentially eliminate any HIV-transmission/acquisition risk from "a tiny drop of water" that hit your eye.

Dr. Bob

fellation non protégée
Follow-up To Anal Warts Question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint